Successful Tests on the Fengsha Heavy Haul Line, China
Effective solution despite extreme loads
On heavy haul lines in particular, every element of the superstructure is subjected to considerably higher loads and thus increased wear. Frequent maintenance repairs are inevitable. For important routes, such as the Fengsha Line in China, these interruptions quickly become a problem. Getzner offers solutions for increased track availability.
- High availability for carrying coal, freight and passenger trains
- Lack of elasticity in the superstructure leads to damage to sleepers, other components as well as to accelerated ballast wear
- First application of Under Sleeper Pads in China
- Clearance limit of the existing tunnel therefore very low ballast height (100 mm)
- High loads: 120 MGT per year
The Getzner solution
The sleepers with Under Sleeper Pads were installed in the transition area from open track to a tunnel – 200 padded sleepers in the tunnel itself and 100 in the approaching section. In addition, the ballast underneath around 60 sleepers was cleaned, while the rest remained uncleaned. During the test period of one year, the test section of the superstructure was subjected to a load of approximately 120 million metric tons.
Advantages for the customer
- Significantly reduced destruction of the ballast
- Increased availability and profitability
- Less maintenance work and lower costs
- Significantly improved track geometry quality
„These tests proved that Under Sleeper Pads represent a way to significantly increase track availability.“Guanghui Wang concludes, head of the maintenance department at the railway authority in Beijing