Luxury apartment block The Touraine
The first application of a full-surface resilient Sylodyn® building bedding in the USA
The Touraine on the Upper East Side of Manhattan is a fifteen-storey luxury apartment block containing 22 exclusive apartments on the historic Upper East Side of New York City. The building stands on a plot surrounded by subway lines 4, 5 and 6. More than 1000 subway trains run along this stretch of track every normal weekday.
- Protecting the apartments from vibration and noise
- Busy subway lines generate vibrations that can have a negative effect on the quality of the indoor environment
The Getzner solution
Prior to starting construction, acoustical consultants AKRF carried out a detailed evaluation of the vibration situation on the site. The readings revealed that the vibration and associated ground-borne noise levels caused by subway train pass-by events were above design guidelines for luxury residential buildings.
Using the Sylodyn® material from Getzner, the construction planners developed what was, for the USA, an new and comprehensive bedding solution for the apartment building: the elastic floor and wall bearings made from high-tech polyurethane now provide effective protection against vibrations from the neighbouring subway lines.
Advantages for the customer
- Full-surface bearings for buildings
- The first application of a full-surface resilient Sylodyn® building bedding in the USA
- Luxury residential living standards despite proximity to subway
- Cost-effective solution resulting from seamless integration into the construction process
- The Touraine was not just the first building in New York City to be given a full-surface resilient bedding based on Sylodyn®; to date it is also the largest completely decoupled building in the USA.