Effective protection against vibrations for a five-storey block of apartments with Sylomer®
An exclusive, five-storey block of apartments with an underground car park was constructed in the heart of Basle’s banking centre. The requirements that have to be met concerning structure-borne sound reduction are particularly high for living areas: there are set sound and vibration values for both day and night which must not be exceeded.
- Minimise vibrations and reduce secondary airborne noise
- Disruptive vibrations due to the shopping centre housed on the ground floor
- Additional vibrations due to the tramway line next to the Drachen-Center
- High requirements concerning structure-borne sound protection for living areas
The Getzner solution
The first stage consisted of defining the building’s natural system frequency, including the bearings. Working on the basis of these results, Getzner worked with experts from Trombik Ingenieure AG to develop a solution that protects the building from oscillations and vibrations.
Using Sylomer® mats, Getzner separated the two sections of the building which are used for different purposes, thereby decoupling the building from the surrounding sources of vibrations. For the living area, a natural system frequency of 15 Hz was required.
Advantages for the customer
- A precise result, thanks to complex calculations and professional installation of the Sylomer® mats
- Measurements taken after completion of the building showed that the natural frequency of 14 Hz predicted in the calculations had been achieved.
„For many years, Getzner Werkstoffe has been an expert partner in the field of structure-borne noise insulation. It is tremendously important to provide the customer with long-lasting and high-quality solutions, particularly when constructing bearing systems for buildings and foundations. Working together with the technicians from Getzner, we are able to develop technically flawless and cost-effective solutions that are precisely tailored to our customers’ requirements.“Peter G. Trombik, Trombik Ingenieure AG