Elastic Bearings of Floating Floors in High-Speed Trains (UK)
Reduced noise and wear
The British Department for Transport has invested in new high-speed trains as part of the “InterCity Express Programme (IEP)” rail investment programme. High comfort levels were the focus of the project. Getzner's solution was elastic floating floors for rolling stock.
- Uneven running surfaces, corrugated rails and the drive motors place considerable stress on the carriage components
- Transfer of vibrations to the interior fittings, the structure and the electronic components
- Vibrations and noise in the carriage interior
The Getzner solution
Getzner bearings for floating floors guarantee a more peaceful atmosphere in the train interior. “Our high-tech elastomers are highly effective despite their low overall height, and can therefore be relied upon to meet the required noise levels in the passenger carriages”, explains Tomoko Takekawa. “The elastomers minimise the transfer of vibrations to the interior fittings, the structure and the electronic components. Not only does this significantly reduce noise, but also wear. In summary, elastic bearings lower maintenance costs.” This is a key sales argument for manufacturers of rail vehicles and rail operators.
The fact that the polyurethane materials Sylomer® and Sylodyn® from Getzner are among the leading vibration isolation materials on the international market is not only reflected in their effectiveness in reducing vibrations and noise. The elastic bearings in the floating floors of the new Hitachi trains are made of the fire retardant material Sylomer® FR. This achieves a Hazard Level (HL) 3 rating for floor constructions (R10) and meets the European requirements of the DIN EN 45545-2 ire protection standard for rail vehicles. Tests and classifications according to German DIN 5510-2, American NFPA 130 and Japanese JRMA are also available.
- Considerable reduction in vibrations and noise in the carriage interior
- Increased comfort for passengers
- Less wear of the carriage construction and thus reduced maintenance costs
- Minimal deflections over the entire service life
- Simple processing of the material
- Tolerance compensation during installation
„The floor system is an important aspect of the new Hitachi 800 train series, with respect to increased passenger comfort and safety requirements. We are looking forward to continuing our partnership with Getzner and the long-term supply of materials for the floor system. Getzner is able to tailor these materials perfectly to customer requirements, and the company's high-quality products are also consistent with the standards that we employ during train construction.“Jamie Foster, Procurement Director at Hitachi Rail Europe