Sound control in timber construction
Increasingly, detached houses and apartment buildings are being constructed from wood, as are industrial corporate buildings. This means that design engineers are faced with new challenges, particularly when it comes to sound control.
Working with design engineers from the various specialist departments, for many years now Getzner has been developing innovative sound control solutions made from Sylomer® and Sylodyn® for use in timber construction. This work has been highly successful: today, Getzner is the leading development partner in this field.
Sources of disturbance in timber construction
- Airborne noise: people, animals, machines and installations excite air vibrations. For example, they are generated by speaking, movement or music.
- Structure-borne noise and impact noise: Structure-borne noise is generated when solid objects or elements are excited to cause vibrations, for example by knocking, hammering or drilling. Impact noise, that is the direct mechanical excitation of ceilings, stairs, stair landings and similar elements, is a special form of structure-borne noise. It is not only generated when walking on an element, but also by moving furniture, objects falling down, children running around or operating domestic appliances.
The Getzner solution
The elastic bearing strips or bearing points consisting of Sylomer® and Sylodyn® are used for sound insulation in timber structures and significantly reduce sound transmission in flanking paths and walls. In this way it is possible to create a quiet living environment.
Advantages for the customer
- Getzner is the leading development partner for soundproofing solutions in timber construction
- Increase in the quality of life and working conditions in timber structures by means of flank bearings
- Mounting of timber construction modules with Sylodyn® strips prevents sound transmission via the flanking path
- Mounted ceiling structures can attain an impact noise insulation level Ln,w of 38 dB and a noise insulation level Rw of 79 dB
- Simple dimensioning of bearings and fast installation for optimal sound insulation