Toranomon Hills Tower
Elastic vibration protection for a four-lane urban motorway and a 247-m tall tower standing above it
In the centre of Tokyo, on a site covering a total area of about 6,000 square metres, a prestigious multi-function area was built. The centrepiece of this development is the Toranomon Hills Tower, a tower block around 247 m in height with 52 floors, which is set to become the tallest building in Tokyo. To enable this impressive skyscraper to be built to the required usage standards, a solution had to be found for the vibrations produced by the urban motorway, which runs through a tunnel for some 200 metres.
Decoupling of vibrations for a once-in-a-century construction project in Japan
Decoupling at the source of the disturbance: bedding of a four-lane underground urban motorway
- Vibration-related internal construction measures for a 255-metre high-rise complex with tunnelling below
The Getzner solution
The first implementation phase of the project involved applying a resilient bedding to the approximately 200-metre underground length of motorway. The full width of this section was «bedded» on the high-tech Sylomer® material. This has the effect of providing the structure erected above the road with effective and long-term protection against vibration.
The solution directly addresses the cause of the vibration: the four-lane urban motorway, which is the source of the disturbing structure-borne noise. The elastic bedding decouples the source of disturbance from its surroundings, and thus also from the structure erected over it.
Advantages for the customer
- The best-possible living and working conditions thanks to less vibration and noise
- Full-surface bearing of a four-lane urban motorway
- Long-term protection of outstanding architecture
- Sylomer® performs extremely well over the long term
- Expert, well-informed contacts on site
- Material is easy to handle and to install
- Getzner's experience spans decades and has been gained across all sectors
- Overseeing construction
- Comprehensive documentation
- Excellent price/performance ratio
«Installing Sylomer® mats reduces vibration and noise levels. The material has been employed successfully for decades – Getzner has demonstrated this on numerous occasions in the rail sector. Another important criterion for future-oriented urban planning is that the material should be easy and quick to install.» Toru Tsuchihashi, Deputy General Manager, Mori Building