Long-term test of rail pads on a heavy traffic route
Increased availability for a heavily utilised line of MRS Logistica S.A. in Brazil
The superstructure is under great stress on heavy traffic routes. Individual components are increasingly being damaged as a result. MRS Logistica S.A.in Brazil commissioned Getzner to develop a solution to reduce the maintenance costs for a heavy traffic route. The objective was to increase the availability of the route while minimising maintenance costs – without interfering too much in the superstructure system.
- High loads and a lack of elasticity
- Frequent rail and tension clamp breakages
- Increased wear in other superstructure components
- High maintenance costs
- Recurrent periods of closure
The Getzner solution
«Installing rail pads is the easiest way of adding elasticity to the track superstructure without having to replace all the ballast. The ballast on the test track in Brazil has been destroyed or extremely compressed, with the result that there is no elasticity at all in the entire superstructure. Our rail pads compensate for this lack of elasticity.» Joao Marcos, Project Manager at Getzner
Advantages for MRS Logistica S.A.
- More elasticity for a heavy traffic route where axle loads exceed 33 metric tons
- High-strength rail pads made of Sylodyn® significantly reduce wear
- Rail pads withstand the extreme loads
- Significantly less wear
- Less maintenance work and lower costs
- Increased availability and profitability
- Proven durability
„Modifying the stiffness enables the maintenance costs for a section of track to be considerably reduced. Getzner offers various solutions to this end. On the MRS track, the Getzner materials provide the superstructure with the required level of elasticity. In addition, it is clear that the rail pads do an exceptional job of withstanding the extremely high loads.“Antonio Merheb, Rail Specialist at MRS Logistica S.A.